- Institute Home
- How to Apply
- Program Information
- Courses & Faculty
- Guanajuato, Mexico
- The Institute
- Contact The Institute
"To walk through the streets of the city of Guanajuato", is a custom that began in 1962 when a group of Guanajuato youth discovered "estudiantinas", a form of music originating in Spain. The ritual was immediately accepted and has continued ever since. A "callejoneada" occurs everyday in Guanajuato! Estudiantinas, a group formed from the University of Guanajuato, follow a traditional route through the city as they sing and perform rituals. The main line of this route begins in the Union Garden, the center of Guanajuato located in front of the famous Juarez Theater, and ends in la Plazuela de los angeles. In fact, tourists are often invited to fulfill rituals during a callejoneada.
Within only a few minutes of Guanajuato you can enjoy the forest and admire the colonial and monumental beauty of Guanajuato. The protected area of "la Cuenca de la Esperanza", the River basin of Hope, offers wonderful activities with field guides who help visitors identify the flora and the fauna of the wooded region. Experts guide visitors through the habitat, showing them how the birds live, sing, and fly through the forest. A short trip from downtown Guanajuato, la Cuenca de la Esperanza attracts visitors with its fabulous beauty.
In the heart of Guanajuato stands the majestic Teatro Juarez. Work on this historical landmark began in 1872 by order of general Florencio Antillon, and was finished in 1903. Beautiful sculptures, paintings, tapestries, and fine architecture make the theater a major attraction to visitors. Hundreds of tourists come to the theater to enjoy beautiful musical ballet interpreted by different estudiantinas from the city. The theater also serves as the departure point of the famous "callejoneadas" and is the main location of the Festival Internacional Cervantino, a major event that includes musical ballet, plays, concerts, painting exhibitions, and photographs.
Jardin de la Union is the social heart of the city. A small, triangular plaza with tiled sidewalks, painted iron benches and square-cropped Indian laurel trees, it's one of Mexico's most inviting public spaces, and the best place in town for people-watching.
General Profirio Diaz headed construction of Mercado Hidalgo, a market built in the architectural style of 1910. The magnificent building includes a clock tower and a large arched entrance. In the main level of the market, artists sell their work made of wood, metal, textile, and stoneware, and more. Inaugurated on September 16, 1910, Mercado Hidalgo stands tall among the beautiful city of Guanajuato.
Tuneles after undergoing numerous floods over the years, Guanajuato city authorities began plans for constructing "tuneles", or tunnels. In 1883, the city began work on a tunnel from San Augustin to Coajin. This was the first tunnel constructed to divert rainwater from the streets, and was completed in 1908 with much jubilation. However, the work was not entirely finished. A new section would have to lead rainwater to the outskirts of Guanajuato, eventually to be called the Pipila Tunnel. And it was not until 1965 that a wider tunnel was constructed as a result of flooding from the Cata and San Matias rivers. The state government formed a committee to present the problem to the President of the Republic, Gustavo Diaz Ordaz. An extension of the tunnel was ordered and work was completed in 1971. In 1978, tunnels were constructed for a different reason: automobiles. But the "tuneles" still enchant visitors, aside from their original intent: security and fluidity.