- Institute Home
- How to Apply
- Program Information
- Courses & Faculty
- Guanajuato, Mexico
- The Institute
- Contact The Institute
El Pipila Built in 1939, El Pipila is an enormous statue representing Juan Jose Martinez, a miner carrying a torch high in his right hand. A beautiful panoramic view of Guanajuato can be observed from this location, including such important sites as the University of Guanajuato, Juarez Theater, Hidalgo Market, Garden Union, and others.
Cerro de el Cubilete Overlooking the city, this large statue of Jesus Christ is 20 meters high and weighs over 250 tons. The image of Jesus Christ standing with arms extended to the side was carved in plaster by Mexican sculptor D. Fidias Elizondo and later fused in bronze. Two angels stand below him, one with a crown of thorns, the other with a real crown. Below the statue lies el Santuario de Cristo Rey, a sanctuary with bronze sculpture and a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Guadalupe.
Guanajuato is also home to several spectacular museums. The Museo de la Alhondiga de Granaditas, originally built as a grain warehouse, was converted into a fortress during the Mexican War of Independence. In 1810, Spanish loyalists locked themselves inside to fight the Mexican rebels, who were led by Padre Hidalgo. The rebels won the battle when a young miner known as Pipila, with a huge stone strapped to his back, advanced towards the fortress and successfully burned down its wooden door. Today, the Alhondiga is an archaeological, ethnographic, and historical museum, with a special chamber dedicated to the Heroes of Independence.
The Museo y Casa de Diego Rivera is the birthplace of Diego Rivera, a famous and talented muralist, but also a very controversial man because he espoused Marxism.
Finally, there is a bizarre Museo de las Momias, displaying area corpses (ranging from 10-129 years old) which have been naturally mummified by minerals in the soil of Guanajuato. Those unlucky mummies were exhumed after their families failed to pay a burial tax to the state!